Low Carb Breakfast Tacos
This recipe was developed by Savory Experiments. The original blog post can be read here.
Makes: 8 servings
Alternately, you can make these as a breakfast bowl with no tortillas or lettuce.
The best lettuce for low carb breakfast tacos is Bibb lettuce, sometimes also labeled at Butter lettuce. Romaine hearts are also a good substitution.
- 2 tablespoons Rio Luna Organics Diced Green Chiles
- 1 tablespoon Rio Luna Organics Sliced Jalapeños
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup queso fresco or cotija cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon salsa or enchilada sauce
- Chives or scallions, for garnish
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
- 8 tortillas or large lettuce leaves
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and milk well. The more air you can introduce into the mix, the fluffier your scrambled eggs! You can even give them a quick spin with an immersion blender.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat.
- When melted, add eggs and stir to scramble. Remove from heat while eggs still look wet to ensure they do not overcook.
- Build your breakfast tacos by evenly dividing scrambled eggs onto tortillas or lettuce. Top with crumbled sausage, cheese, green chiles, jalapenos and salsa. Add any other additional toppings you enjoy.
- Garnish with chives, green onions, large flaky salt and freshly ground pepper.