Slow Cooker Beef Tacos with Mango-Citrus Salsa
This recipe was developed and featured on Hola Jalapeño. The original blog post can be read here.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 4-6 hours
- For the Jalapeño Shredded Beef:
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 cup drained Rio Luna Nacho Sliced Jalapeños
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs fresh oregano, chopped or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- For the Mango-Citrus Salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped fresh citrus
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, minced (remove seeds if you’d like it less spicy)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- For the Tacos:
- Warm corn tortillas
- Sliced avocado
- Cilantro leaves
- Grilled spring onions
- Combine salt, cumin, coriander, and black pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle on all sides of the beef roast and rub into the meat.
- Heat oil in the slow cooker on the sauté setting if your machine has that function. If not, oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Transfer to the slow cooker if you used a frying pan, otherwise, add remaining Jalapeño Shredded Beef ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4.
- Meanwhile, make the Mango-Citrus Salsa. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Taste and add more lime juice or salt if needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When beef is ready, shred meat with two forks and mix back into the sauce. Keep warm in the slow cooker. Serve with Mango-Citrus salsa, warm tortillas, and all the garnishes your heart desires.