Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 16 oz extra-firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon annatto powder (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups cooked kidney or black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can of Rio Luna Diced Green Chiles
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- 8 oz package of vegan cheese shreds
- Rio Luna Nacho Sliced Jalapeños, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Press a piece of parchment paper into the bottom of a 10.5" springform pan.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high. Add olive oil to hot pan and sauté the diced onion and pepper, minced mushrooms and garlic, and crumbled tofu over medium heat until they start to brown, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add dried herbs and spices and continue to stir and sauté the tofu and veggies until they are browned, about another 3 minutes.
- Add tamari, vinegar, salt, beans, corn, tomatoes and Rio Luna diced green chiles and cook for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Taste for seasoning and add more salt to taste if needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro leaves.
- Toast tortillas on a hot dry griddle or cast iron skillet for 30 seconds on each side to crisp them up a bit.
- Place one tortilla into the springform pan and top with 1/4 of the filling and 1/4 of the shredded cheese. Repeat for the remaining tortillas and fillings until you have 4 layers. Add a few Rio Luna sliced jalapeños to each layer for added flavor and heat to your taste.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 425˚F in top third of oven. Then turn on broiler to melt and brown the top layer of cheese, about 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from oven and serve hot in wedges with fresh salsa, guacamole, lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers to keep for up to 1 week. Reheat to serve.
This recipe was developed and featured on Fare Isle. The original blog post can be read here.
Serve with fresh salsa, guacamole, cilantro and lime.