Jalapeño Chicken Salad Sandwiches
This recipe was developed by Chelsea’s Messy Apron. The original post can be read here.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 min.
Total Time: 25 min.
Note 1: Chelsea’s Messy Apron’s favorite way to enjoy this chicken salad is on a croissant with a few pieces of lettuce. Below are a few other ways you can serve it:
- Serve on regular toasted bread (we like ciabatta with this mix).
- Try it on lettuce wraps! Pile this Jalapeño chicken salad on some butter lettuce leaves or Romaine lettuce, roll it up, and enjoy.
- Serve this Jalapeño chicken salad inside an avocado.
- Add a few spoonfuls of this chicken salad on some mixed greens or arugula and toss to combine.
- Enjoy as is. This chicken salad is also great straight from the bowl or spooned onto crackers.
- ½ cup sour cream (light or fat free can be used)
- ¾ cup good quality mayo
- ½ teaspoon roasted garlic powder, ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon EACH: honey, freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken Salad:
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños, drained (increase the amount of jalapeños to desired spice levels!)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro (measured after chopping)
- ⅓ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped avocado (~1 large avocado)
- 1 cup finely diced red pepper, (~1 pepper)
- For serving: croissants or bread and lettuce, pepper-jack cheese if desired (See Note 1)
- Dressing: In a medium-sized bowl, add the ½ cup sour cream, ¾ cup mayo, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste (Chelsea's Messy Apron likes to add ¼ teaspoon of each). Stir until smooth.
- Chicken Salad: Cube or shred the chicken; measure 3 cups and place in a large bowl. Add the ¼ cup diced jalapeños, ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro, ⅓ cup diced red onion, 1 cup chopped avocado, and 1 cup finely diced red pepper.
- Combine: Pour the dressing over the chicken and salad ingredients. Gently stir with a wooden spoon until ingredients are combined.
- Assemble: Make your sandwich! Toast bread or slice open a fresh croissant. Top with lettuce and a few scoops of the jalapeño chicken salad. If desired, add on some slices of pepper-jack cheese. Enjoy!