Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1 (8 count) package cooked hot dogs, (shorter ones work best)
- 1 cup prepared chili
- 1 cup shredded cheese, try Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or cheddar
- 24 Rio Luna Organic Nacho Sliced Jalapeños
- 1 4 ounce can Rio Luna Organic Diced Green Chiles, medium or mild
- 1/4 cup onion, red or white, diced
- Oil for frying (vegetable, grape seed, or avocado)
- Filling the egg rolls:
Lay an egg roll wrapper down with the point facing you so it looks like a diamond shape. Place a hot dog across the egg roll wrapper diagonally so the ends are in line with 2 of the corners of the wrapper. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of chili along the length of the hot dog followed by, a little shredded cheese, 1/2 tsp of diced chilis, 3 jalapenos, and a little onion and/or scallion. Don't overfill or you won't be able to close the egg rolls!
- Wrapping the egg rolls:
Start by folding over the egg roll wrapper corner facing you and snugly tucking it around the hot dog and toppings. Next fold over both sides at the ends of the hot dog. Finish up by folding over the egg roll while gently squeezing. Seal the egg roll edges with a little water and continue with the rest.
- Cooking the Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls:
Pan Frying Method: Heat a frying pan over high heat with about 2 inches of cooking oil to about 350º F(175º C). You’ll know the oil is hot enough when you stick the end of a wooden spoon in there and it bubbles. Place egg rolls in hot oil, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook about 2 minutes per side or until they’re lightly browned. Place on a baking sheet lined with a paper bag or paper towels to absorb any excess oil before serving.
- Air Frying Method: Heat up your air fryer to 390 and cook the egg rolls (brushed with oil) for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Make sure egg rolls are not touching in your fryer basket and cook in batches. They’re finished cooking once the skins are lightly browned and crispy.
- Baking Method: Place the egg rolls, on a baking sheet about one inch apart and lightly brush with oil. Bake in an oven preheated to 400ºF (200º C) for 20 minutes flipping halfway through. Lightly brown and crispy is what we’re after.
- Serving the Chili Cheese Dog Egg Rolls:
Serve the egg rolls either whole or sliced in half. Condiments can include ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing, salsa or guacamole
This recipe was developed and featured on Better Living. The original blog post can be read here.