Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 60-90 min
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cans (about 7 cups) chicken broth, or 4 bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup milk, cream or half & half
- 1 can (4 ounces) Rio Luna chopped green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Chopped green onion, optional
- Peel potatoes and chop into medium dice. Put potato and onion in slow cooker and add chicken broth to cover, reserving remaining broth. You may substitute water and 4 chicken bouillon cubes. Add salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil on high, then lower heat and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Remove half of the potatoes to a colander or bowl. Mash remaining potatoes in cooking broth with a potato masher or spoon. Return reserved potatoes to cooker along with milk, green chiles and cheese.
- Let simmer for 30-45 additional minutes. Add more salt and pepper to taste. If soup is too thick, add extra chicken broth.
- Serve with extra shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, sour cream and sliced green onion on top, if desired.
This soup, when garnished with the optional ingredients, is reminiscent of a loaded baked potato.
Thanks for the inspiration Texas Co-Op Power & Karen Short