Makes: 18 mini sausage rolls
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 (14 oz, 400g) plant-based sausages
- 1 4oz can of Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños
- 4 oz good cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 18 slices of Rio Luna Hot and Sweet Jalapeños
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (204˚C) and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Remove plant-based sausages from casings and add to a bowl.
- Open can of Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños , drain and mix into plant-based sausage.
- Lightly flour work surface and cut thawed but still cold puff pastry sheet in half.
- Spread a layer of shredded cheddar cheese down the center of each rectangular piece of puff pastry dough. Then layer half of the sausage-jalapeño mix on each piece and use form it into a tight log with your hands. Cover the sausage with more cheddar cheese.
- Press and thin out the long sides of the puff pastry with your finger tips.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat it with a fork then brush the beaten egg onto one long side of each rectangle.
- Roll the dry long side of each rectangle up and over the sausage and seal it with the side brushed with egg. Pull and stretch the dough and pinch to seal.
- Brush top of each roll with beaten egg and place 9 slices of Rio Luna Hot and Sweet Jalapeños in a line down the top of the roll. Then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to slice through the roll and create 9 mini rolls with the jalapeno slices as your guide. They should be in the center of each mini roll.
- Arrange sausage rolls seam side down on the prepared sheet pan and bake at 400˚F (204˚C) for about 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the inside filling is cooked through.
Best eaten hot from oven. Leftovers will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 2-3- days. Reheat to serve.
This recipe was developed and featured on Fare Isle. The original blog post can be read here.